4 students were removed from Pioneer Middle School after overdosing on over the counter medication. Two eight graders and one seventh grader were sent to the hospital and the other 7th grader was sent home. Two of the students might have stolen the over the counter medicine from a drug store (this is still under investigation) they may be charged for this. One of the other students is said to get the medicine from his home. They take these drugs to get a high.
BSO isn’t telling us what drug they actually took. “The side effects they have to worry about are the cardiac side effect, they can go into cardiac arrest,” Dr. Peter Antevy of Memorial Regional Hospital told CBS 4’s Carey Codd. “They can have a seizure. It slows down their breathing. All things that might land them in a hospital and could kill them.”
First off, I never thought of ever taking a cold medicine to get high, this is ridiculous, kids are just trying anything now a days. Second I never really new the effects a cold medicine can actually have on a person.
I think BSO should release the name of the cold medicine, I think other parents have the right to know what medicine it is exactly that can cause this to their children. Apparently this drug is also called Triple C, a drug most teens try taking to get high.
Triple C is a drug slang term which refers to cough medicine, derived from Coricidin Cough and Cold – a common over-the-counter antihistamine medication. This medication, like other cough syrup products, can be abused like an illicit drug by taking extremely large doses to get high. The “high” is caused by intake of a large amount of dextromethorphan (DXM), a common active ingredient found in many cough medications. This sort of abuse of “Triple C” can be dangerous. (You can find this information and more at dxmstories.com
Parents need to talk to their children more and explain that even an over the counter medicine can be deadly.
If you want to read the full story go to cbs4.com